Loading, please wait..

Welcome to the British Beer & Pub Association Keg & Cask Returns Website

How to claim

Understand the claims process

Headlining Brewers

We hope you and those closest to you are keeping well in these challenging times.

We have created this website to enable you to easily request permission from each brewer whose draught beer or cider you stock to destroy this where it is unsaleable due to the current closure period and once permission has been obtained, to provide evidence of its destruction.

This will facilitate the process of excise duty reclaim on spoilt beer and cider from HMRC by each brewer and the process of crediting you for reclaimed excise duty in accordance with individual brewer policy.

Create your profile NOW to register your containers, based on brand and supplier. Early action will allow time for any further instructions to be sent to you by the relevant brewer prior to any final confirmation that unsaleable beer can be destroyed.

The data which you provide will only be used by brewers in order to administer the stock destruction and excise duty reclaim process and for no other purpose. Further detail on how brewers will process licensees’ personal data is available on the website.

This website is only applicable to the brands owned by those brewers whose logos are listed. If you would like to seek permission for the destruction of a brand that is not listed you will need to contact your supplier directly. Whilst the site has been developed for broad use across the sector, licensees who run a Managed or Leased & Tenanted pub are reminded of the need to check with their pub operator first before attempting to use the site to clarify whether an alternative approach is preferred.

Watch how to claim

How to claim

We have been working to make this process as easy as possible for you, while helping you to receive your duty back quickly. Follow the steps below to make your claim now and submit online.


How to dispose of your beer

All UK water wholesalers have now reverted to normal practices  in relation to environmental approvals for beer disposal in pub cellars. From 1st September 2020 any applications submitted by pub businesses and licensees should be made via their local water retailers with associated form-filling and any trade effluent charges that apply. To assist in identifying the water retailer for individual businesses, this will be the company that issues the utility bill.  


What you need to claim

You will need the following to make a claim:

  • Keg details (brand, size, Keg code, best before date). There are tool tips throughout the claims form to help you.
  • Delivery details
  • Photos of the keg
  • Number of taps at your location for the keg
  • You MUST have your Supplier Account Number to hand
Register Now

Are you Eligible?

If you are a licensed outlet with kegs that need to have Duty reclaimed, you are eligible for reimbursement on the excise duty paid for the remaining liquid. If you wish to understand specifically how you will be compensated by the participating Brewers, please defer to your supplier.

Read the FAQ

Create an account

You can create an account now to begin the process of submitting your kegs. If you have more than one location you can download our helpful spreadsheet and register your group of outlets

Set up an account

Complete the Keg Submission Forms

Submit your records for processing and recovery of excise duty. Each Brewer will send you a notification of when you can destroy your liquid.

Make a claim

Submit your Claim

Submit your records for processing and recovery of excise duty.